The Line of 1000
Working Title: The line of 1000.
Aims: My aim is to find a way in organizing images using the rules of computer languages.
Millions of images gets uploaded every second online. As there are so many images made now, what are they saying in them? Are we in a culture that we are not yet realized? Knowing each of us have a different perspective to visuals, may I be finding out the cult of what people are doing?
What do you wish to achieve specifically within the boundary of your project?
One year is not much time, but this MA will lead me in starting a research of a lifetime. As for this years aim, I called my working title as “The line of 1000” the line as the one, and having the boundary of 1000 will be where I stop.
Why do you want to do this project?
History to now; non-digital to digital. Digital world helps us in making things in order but also leads us into too much system that became chaos. In 10 to 20 years time we may be able to know all the things we need to know online when our archives today are uploaded. And how are we doing this in visual language? How are we organizing this together in one system or can we? Can we see them all in one?
Being both 2D designer and artist. I had always wanted a library of the world’s visual language, seeing as much as I can in the world at that moment in time. There are images all around us and somehow may be that we don’t know of. Finding a way to group together images not with word but with the image itself, to see in a clearer format?
During the years I was studying drawing, I was trying to put together only the images that I have made but have found it really hard, as the development of an image can be infinite. The finding of a drawing that leads to the use of material can then lead to another way of seeing what was drawn. I believe computer may led us in understand how a drawing may work when they are in the physical use. Artists that have made artwork from found images, with this power we have now, where will this lead to?
There are now many whom may not call themselves artist or photographers are making images everyday and putting them online in shear of images that have other meanings for them, like as a memory of moment or an record of something or a meaning of communication.
May be making images may never really be the same, like once I was told, a class of 40 and each had a small paper and they wear asked to draw a circle. And 40 circles wear drawn very differently on the paper!
What is your field of inquiry?
- Library – how they put together the image archives? Online: “Gatty images” and shearing image database “Flickr”.
- Organizing – Europe culture and other if I can.
- Information architecture – Information Architecture Institute
- Language developments
- MC Escher – mathematical principles of symmetry and pattern
- Sol LeWitt – book of doors and book on early programming
- John Maeda – where programming become a surprise of imagery
- John Cage – creative thinking and realizing the world around we are in now! The cult of different in the sound of every day!
- Peter Greenaway – story telling of the future
- Lev Manvich – to learn from the past in the making of new media culture
- Marcel Duchamp – moment in time
Why is this an important issue / question?
Technology influences us now. The chaotic virtual world, the start of another culture. Gathering all the information together, no matter if is right or wrong as this really have much to do with power and we may find out how one may think of beauty to them or what is image making to them. As for that there isn’t really a right or wrong answer to this really!
Look at how we build our space in our physic world, there are the art galleries which sells what they think are most beautiful in the visual language and there are the “Re-edites”, copy and paste visuals as a kind of beauty within our everyday life. May be there are much beauty to be found! I hope to bring out the other side of beauty that I may not have seen before, and hope it be the same to the audience who see my work.
This should be what we are now and who we are now, the world of globalization. Not just the people who put in the keyword in English but the image itself.
What do you wish to achieve / learn from the project?
To be able to see the big picture on what we are doing now with the visual language. From the influences of the digital culture we are in now. Use of nature within the rule of digital, an order that build an outcome of surprise.
In control of order and chaos, both have beauty. From the control of the computer, the ways of making have changed. When using the computer we are not using physic tools like pen to draw, but with a mouse or a figure on Macbook or a Wacom pan. This year I will learn another new way to draw out my ideas, the language of Processing. Where I will not have the control of software but the control of a language that I don’t know much of. May be I am a child once again, a beginning to an area I don’t know much of!
In what form do you envisage the final work?
I see this coming out as a web page, where I may find the images online and organize them in a different display or layout.
What kind of space would the work is best situated?
On a screen or projection.
What are the issues wit the medium of delivery? (Online)
Yes, this should be online.
Media: A machine with layers of information turning the physical ‘Line’ into a virtual one!
- A line of one we are in or at! 1000 as my method, leading to investigate within:
Make the line;
Tell a story;
Let other to interact;
Other to influence;
Others to trace back and to understanding present;
Search of Arts and knowledge;
Let myself be an audience;
Making a system;
What may then stays?
By looking at ‘line’, I will like to see if there are other ways in making a line within the digital and physical world. If there are so much ways in the physical world there most be more in machines too!
- Software to be the objective mind and mine will be the chaotic one!
- I will be exploring is how the physic links within the virtual world at this moment in time.
- Make works in the rule of order- a line, looking at the line of 1000 ways.
- Record the process of work using my notebook and blog.
- Review the result within the output.
- Loop!! Work within the detail in the theme becomes the other part of the ‘keyword’.
- Using the internet, reading books in asking myself question in why am I making the work and how in knowing the doing of my action.
- To shear, to work with other class mate of MA Visual Art in building how we communicate with others in the physical world as well as the virtual world we are in now.
- Finding the best way in making my work and how in understand myself led to understand how the world can in using visual language itself!
- How do we use the visual language to communicate.
- Slowly doing something is making me in understand a method of making something. To be slow but detail in making work that really works.
- look into the cult I am in, the 3 language I use, English/ Chinese/ Images. I jump from one to another everyday. Look in it!! How it all really is one and this is where it will be one too in the world, the globalization of us!
- Idea, people who have done it before and where I can find where will it go next? In combining the 2 side of my brain and 3rd the making of my hands from my brain!
Meeting stranger in doing my primary research on how other think of this ‘line’.
- Week 1 to 6 – research and understand on the question in why am I doing this MA.
- Week 7 to 10 – lean the media in where my work will be shown as.
10 weeks (every Tuesday night classes) of flash in LCC
4 sections workshops (every Monday morning in Oct to Nov.) on CSS and HTML in understanding the language of programming!
2 section on Final Cut Pro. (14th to 21st Oct)
- Week 11- 1st Exhibition, “Drawing A Lecture” and reading in understanding why the Grid!
- Week 12 & 13 – House Gallery Exhibition – helping out the group, understanding the art of curetting a show. 1st set of work in processed.
- Week 14 – Start in reading Foundation Processing Creative Coding and Computational Art
- Week 15 – 1st set work to be processed and shown for cite!
- Week 16 to 18 – art work in process for Mid point review (cites).
- Week 18 to 24 – Web Production skills for 5 Saturdays
- Week 19 to 25 – rework!
- Week 26 to 30 – Loop!
- Week 31 to 35 – 2nd set work to be processed and shown for cite!
- Week 36 to 45 – gets ready for show.
Jen Paul Richter (1970) The notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci. Vol. 1.USA: Dover
John Berger (1972) Ways of seeing. London: Penguin Books
Susan Sontag (1971) On Photography. Penguin Books, London
Sol LeWitt (1928) The Location of lines. London: Lisson Publication
Sol LeWitt (1974) Incomplete open cubes. New York: The John Weber Gallery
Kenneth Martin, 1905-1984 (c1982) Chance, order, change / Kenneth Martin. Leicester: Leicester Polytechnic
Martin, Kenneth, 1905-1984 (1973) Chance and order / Drawings by Kenneth Martin. Waddington Galleries
Laurence Sillars, (2006) Bruce Nauman: make me think me, Liverpool: Tate Liverpool
Keith Crithlow (2000) Order in Space. London: Thames & Hudson
Edwin A. Abbott (1838) Flatland, A Romance of Many Dimensions. USA: Dover Publication
Samuel Beckett (1983) Worstward ho. London: John Calder (Publishers) Ltd.
Hodges, Andrew(1985) Alan Turing- the enigma of intelligence Unwin Paperbacks, London
David Wade (2006) Symmetry- The ordering principle Wooden Books Ltd., Somerset
Douglas R. Hofstadter (1980) Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid. Penguin Books, London
Christiane Paul (2003) Digital Art. Thames & Hudson world of art, London
Tony Buzan (2007) The Buzan study skills handbook. BBC Active, London
Doris Schattschneider (2004) M.C. Escher – Visions of Symmetry. Thames & Hudson world of art, London
Lev Manovich (2001) The Language of New Media. Massachusetts Institute of Technology Press, London.
John Maeda (2001) Design by Number MIT Press,USA
DVD and Lectures
Heinz Peter Schwerfel (2004) Make me think – Bruce Nauman, [Cologne] Artcore.
Shock of the New (2004)
TED.com – Lecture of Alan Kay on Mar 2007 on A powerful idea about teaching ideas